Sunday, December 15, 2013

Simple Goodness: Carnitas


Today my kitchen is filled with delicious aromas from my friend Krista's Homemade Carnitas, cooking away now in the oven.

Our calendar is filling up with last-week-of-school activities, orthodontist appointments, holiday preparations (and even a date night--yay!) but a big pan of this shredded pork will will provide plenty of convenient meals to make my week simpler.

I plan to enjoy the meat with tortillas, and canned black beans seasoned with a spoonful of salsa. The kids appreciate the pork, but they will likely want quesadillas and sour cream to go with it.

It tickles me that this Mexican dish came to my Kansas kitchen by way of a "Danish-Canadian lass" in Australia whom I met decades ago in Russia, of all places. Hooray for the Internet!

Check out Krista's recipe for carnitas at her website.

You will need:
  • 1 large pork roast (shoulder)
  • 1 orange or mandarin or clementine or lemon or lime
  • 1 1/2 cups whole milk
  • salt and pepper
  • water






No comments:

Post a Comment