Thursday, December 26, 2013

Apple Pie--Say "Cheese!"


You could say pie runs in my family. It's not quite Christmas without pie. And nothing rivals pie for a post-holiday breakfast!

I have taught my husband to enjoy apple pie the New England way, with slices of sharp white cheddar. Apparently there is even a saying for it: "Apple pie without the cheese is like a kiss without the squeeze."

Here is the recipe my family uses. One of these days, I will also post my pastry recipe with more detailed directions for making delectable homemade crust. (Confession: I tried a Jiffy pie crust mix last month, and it worked beautifully!)


Apple Pie 


  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 T. all-purpose flour

Stir together in a bowl. Set aside.

  • 4 large Granny Smith apples, cored and peeled

Thinly slice two apples and arrange in pie dish. Carefully sprinkle half the sugar mixture over apples. Repeat with the rest of the apples and sugar.

Dot sugared apples with 1 T. butter. Using your finger, lightly moisten edge of bottom crust with cold water. Spread top pastry circle over apples. Trim, fold, and crimp edge.




Pastry is its own art form in my family.

Bake 1 hour at 375 F.


The kids' individual pies

No comments:

Post a Comment