Sunday, December 8, 2013

Italian Sausage & Linguine


This is my favorite company meal. I try to keep the ingredients on hand in my pantry and freezer so I am always prepared! As a one-dish meal, you can serve this pasta alone. Or dress it up with a vegetable or salad, garlic bread and wine for a special dinner.

My preferences are turkey sausage and whole wheat pasta, but you can use whatever suits your family's tastes. I love the convenience of the "three peppers and onions" blend in the freezer aisle of my supermarket. If you can't find that, you can also slice an onion and a large bell pepper yourself.

  • 1 lb. sweet Italian sausage links
  • 3 T. olive oil 
Cook sausages thoroughly in a large skillet with a lid. Remove from pan and slice into thin medallions.

Return sausage to skillet. Saute with:
  • 2 tsp. minced garlic 
  • 1 pkg. (12-16 oz.) frozen peppers and onions 
Add:
  • 1 can diced tomatoes 
  • 2 tsp. basil 
  • 1 tsp. oregano 
  • salt & pepper to taste 
Simmer 5 minutes. In another pan, cook:
  • 13-16 oz. linguine, or penne
Add noodles to tomatoes and toss to combine. Serve immediately.

Garnish each plate with Parmesan and chopped fresh basil.

Serves 6-8.





No comments:

Post a Comment