Saturday, January 25, 2014

Simple Supper Beans


I spent most of yesterday on the couch with a raging sinus infection. I knew everyone would be hungry when they got home from school, so I needed an easy menu. (The pizza we'd ordered earlier in the week was gone, and we'd had sandwiches the night before.)

So when my daughter got home at 3:30, I had her throw dinner in the oven:

She opened 3 cans of great northern beans and 1 can of Ro-Tel tomatoes. I had her mix them in a casserole dish with 1 tsp. ground cumin. She put on the lid and set the beans in the oven to bake at 325 F.

When my son got home, I asked him to set the table with bowls and spoons.

Two hours later, I walked into the kitchen and served up the beans. We garnished them with colby-jack cheese (shredded by my helpful husband), sour cream, and tortilla chips. Avocado would have been nice, but I haven't been shopping in a while. For a nice touch, I mixed up an apple-passion-mango juice blend from frozen concentrate.

We had a nice family dinner, and I didn't even have to cook!

No comments:

Post a Comment