Sunday, January 26, 2014

For Love of Mushrooms


I loved canned mushrooms as a little girl. We put them on pizza, and in beef stroganoff. (You can read more about that here.) I loved to nibble pieces straight out of the can. As an adult, I wasn't really sure what to do with mushrooms, but I loved to order them in restaurant dishes.

Recently I've been revisiting mushrooms. This dish was inspired by a mushroom omelette my late grandmother prepared for me when I visited her years ago. Grammie used white Cracker Barrel® cheese, and it always reminds me of her kitchen. A frittata is a natural choice for weekend brunch, but I also enjoy this meal as a filling lunch or quick late-night supper.

When I make this meal for myself, it is so much more than good-tasting fuel. This particular food combination represents warmth, care, and a sense of well-being. What delicious foods are comforting to you?


Mushroom-Cheddar Frittata

  • 1 cup sliced raw mushrooms
  • 1/4 of a large onion, sliced
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • salt & pepper
  • sharp white cheddar cheese, sliced thin

In a medium skillet, saute vegetables in a teaspoon of butter. When they begin to caramelize, pour in the eggs, seasoned with salt and pepper. Let set over medium-low heat, sliding spatula under the edges to let the egg run beneath. Flip frittata if necessary to thoroughly cook the eggs. Top with cheese slices and serve with buttered toast.


No comments:

Post a Comment