Saturday, January 18, 2014

Chicken-Noodle Soup


There have been sore throats and sniffles around our house this week, so it was a great time for a pot of chicken-noodle soup.

I don't actually use a recipe when I throw this soup together, but below are my basic ingredients. The can of condensed soup stretches the broth and gives it body, but you can certainly leave it out if you want to stick to less-processed ingredients.

I don't think I ever use the same kind of noodles twice in a row. The kids love it when I make them from scratch; frozen thick Reames egg noodles are second-best. Last month, I skipped the noodles altogether and cooked dumplings in the broth instead. This time I had whole wheat yolk-free egg noodles in the pantry, so I used those.



Chicken-Noodle Soup

  • 3-4 carrots, diced
  • 3-4 ribs celery
  • 1 large onion
  • 2 bay leaves
  • black pepper
  • chicken broth
  • can of cream of chicken soup (optional)
  • salt, to taste
  • noodles
  • cooked chicken or turkey

I usually simmer the veggies in the broth till they're tender. Then I add the noodles and let them cook before adding the chicken last of all.




No comments:

Post a Comment