Friday, November 7, 2014

Honey Baked Beans with Apples


I wanted leftovers for our long weekend, so I made a big dish of these golden, sweet and savory beans tonight. Boston brown bread sounded good, but I was feeling lazy so I just made cornbread this time. 

I don't score any points with the kids when I serve this, but sometimes Mommy needs cozy comfort food, too!

 You can prepare the beans a day ahead, and add the apple slices right before baking.


Honey Baked Beans with Apples

  • 1 cup dry navy beans
Bring to a boil with about 2 cups water. Let sit for an hour, drain. Simmer in fresh water till soft, drain again. 

Stir into cooked beans:
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 2 T. butter
  • 2 T. oil
  • 2-3 T. honey
  • 1 onion, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 lb. bacon, chopped and fried

Butter a 2 qt. casserole. Pour in beans. Top with

  • 2 cored and pared apples, thickly sliced
If beans seem dry, add 1/2 c. water.

Bake, covered, at 300 F for one hour or two, adding water as needed. Dish is ready when apples are puffy and onions are soft. 

Serves 6.



No comments:

Post a Comment