Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Rhubarb Cake


I moved my poor little rhubarb plant to a pleasant space in full shade next to the hostas, and it must have liked the company because it cheered up right away! It was getting so big this week, I even dared to harvest enough stalks to make this scrumptious coffeecake. I do not recall where my mother came across this recipe, but it is the best one I've found. Moist cake, tart fruity bits, and a sweet crusty topping--it is a highly esteemed breakfast treat around here.

I used some whole wheat and some unbleached flour. You could also make this gluten-free, of course. And I imagine it would be equally delicious as cupcakes.

My supermarket sells fresh rhubarb this time of the year, so don't despair if you don't have a plant of your own! The size of your rhubarb pieces will make a big difference in the texture of your cake. I cut mine in cubes no larger than 1/2".


Rhubarb Cake

  • 1 stick butter
  • 1 1/2 cup brown sugar, very lightly packed
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 1/2 cups diced rhubarb, fresh or frozen

Cream butter and sugar. Mix in egg and vanilla.
Stir in flour alternately with buttermilk, adding rhubarb last.
Spread thick batter in a greased and floured 9 x 13 baking pan.

Mix 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon and sprinkle this evenly over the surface of the cake batter.

Bake at 350 F for 35 minutes or till toothpick comes out clean.


No comments:

Post a Comment