Friday, June 20, 2014

Bavarian Raspberry Cream


Our produce aisles are bursting with fresh berries this month. So this week I introduced my family to one of my favorite summer desserts. Rich, tangy, and colorful, my son declared this treat "divine"! Unfortunately, it all disappeared before I got a photo. We'll just have to make it again, I guess. I first discovered the recipe in my mom's Joy of Cooking, and I've modified it only slightly.


Bavarian Berry Cream

  • 2 cups crushed raspberries (or strawberries, about one pound)
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 T. lemon juice

Let the sweetened fruit sit for 20 minutes while you prepare the gelatin.

  • 2 T. cold water
  • 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
  • 1/4 cup boiling water

Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water to soften. Add boiling water and stir till dissolved. Stir gelatin into fruit mixture. Put into refrigerator to chill for about half an hour.

  • 1 cup well-chilled whipping cream (I used light whipping cream, but heavy is good, too)

When fruit is almost set, beat cream till fluffy. Gently fold into berries.

Pour the dessert into a dish, a prepared baked pie crust, or a wet mold. Cover and chill till firm.


No comments:

Post a Comment