Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Raisin Spice Drop Cookies


These toothsome treats are a family legend. My great-grandmother brought them to my parents' wedding picnic in 1974. I made them this afternoon while the kids were in school and my carpets were being cleaned.

Melt-in-your-mouth cookies have their place but these are more like little cakes. And they're hearty enough to keep you going when lunch is a distant memory and supper is too far in the future. I usually use walnuts, but today I had pecans so I used them instead.


Raisin Spice Cookies

  • 2 cups raisins
  • 1 cup water

Bring to a boil in small saucepan. Cover, and set aside to cool.

  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla

Cream together.

  • 4 cups flour (I used half whole wheat, but I like them chewy)
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp. allspice

Combine dry ingredients and add them to creamed mixture, alternating with the liquid from the raisins to keep it moist. Stir in raisins and:

  • 1 cup chopped nuts

Using a tablespoon, drop scoops of dough onto ungreased cookie trays, about two inches apart.

Bake 10-12 minutes at 350 F.

Cool on wire rack and dust with confectioner's sugar. Store in air-tight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment